Saturday, June 4, 2016

SHOW REVIEW: Against Me! ft. July Talk

Just the other day, I got the chance to attend an Against Me! gig at Webster Hall. The show itself was apart of the Governors Ball music festival, since the show was called "Govs Ball After Dark Presents". The show started just around ten with opening act July Talk starting. July Talk are a Canadian blues rock/alt rock band from Toronto, and I have to say that I wholeheartedly enjoyed their set. Their sound was very southern influenced but had indie rock hints to it as well. I'd say that this band is for fans of bands such as Kings of Leon, or Alabama Shakes to a degree. One of my favorite tracks they played was one of their newest ones entitled Push and Pull. Overall, an enjoyable set by an incredibly talented band, one that I'd highly recommend listening to (A link will be posted below.)
 After a wait, where I mingled with the crowd for a while, Against Me! went on.  Now, they came out and ripped right into the crowd with their first song, I Was a Teenage Anarchist, and with that the show, and the crowd got really, REALLY into it. People were pushing each other around, singing along and crowd surfing almost all at once. Laura Jane Grace, their frontwoman, didn't banter a whole lot on stage, and they went song into song, playing such hits as 333, True Trans Soul Rebel, Transgender Dysphoria Blues, and Thrash Unreal.
 On a person note, I was brought to tears by True Trans Soul Rebel, and also during Thrash Unreal, for personal reasons for the first, but the latter because of the emotional tone of the song, as our writer John has told me before. Overall, this show was one hell of an experience, and a big thanks to July Talk and of course, Against Me! for making it such an enjoyable and amazing experience.


July Talk- 6/10

Against Me!- 9/10

Overall, 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment