Monday, September 28, 2015

The Jesus and Mary Chain and The Black Ryder at Terminal 5 9/24/15


             Last Thursday The Jesus and Mary Chain played the first two nights at Terminal 5 celebrating their 30thanniversary of their album Psycho Candy. This was my first time seeing them and I was excited to finally see this band. What I’m really surprise about this show is that these shows were not sold out. Terminal 5 is one of my favorite venues in the city and I knew this was going to be a good show.

            The opening band was The Black Ryder. The Black Ryder is a Shoegaze/Drone band and is from Australia. Usually I hate opening bands that play slow but this was different. This band was something else and they put their perspective on shoegaze. There were three singers one was a guy and the rest were women. The Guy’s mic sounded like it was distorted which I thought that was really cool. The played a good set and the crowd seemed to be into them.  Out of any openers I’ve seen for a legendary alternative band I thought they were the best.

            The Jesus and Mary Chain took the stage and played two sets. The first set was a seven song set featuring some of their hits after the Psycho Candy. The crowd seemed to like it but half of that crowd looked like they were just there to drink. I really hated the crowd because it seems that not everybody was into them or didn’t know any of the songs being played. Once they finish that set they moved on to the album. Before starting again they left the crowd dark which I thought was weird. It was just five minutes of darkness which I thought was weird but then you heard the drum beat for “Just like Honey”. They stared the album and the front looked crazy. There was a somewhat of a pit but it was just a bunch of fans jumping up and down and pushing each other during this set. I thought it was weird because I didn’t expect people to push-pit for this band but hey it was all in good fun. If you miss this show and tour you messed up because it was to see this album played in its entirety. If The Jesus and Mary Chain come around again don’t miss out.

The Jesus and Mary Chain- 10/10

The Black Ryder- 9/10

Terminal 5- 10/10

Over Concert- 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment