Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Enter Shikari, Stray From The Path, A Lot Like Brids, and I, The Mighty at The Gramercy Theatre 4/3/15

Last Friday, Enter Shikari played at The Gramercy Theatre. They are on a tour supporting their new album, The Mindsweep, that came out back in January. Enter Shikari are a metal mixed with electronica band from England. Mixing metal and EDM sounds like a bad idea but what Enter Shikari does is totally unique and different. Despite the EDM based material, they don't attract that crowd and a lot of metalcore fans dig this band. Gramercy Theatre was the venue and this is the smallest venue I ever seen Enter Shikari played before. This venue only holds about 500 people or more. For a venue with a barricade, its okay. It's not the best nor the worst.
The first band of the night was I, The Mighty. This will be my second time seeing them and also it will be my first time seeing them with a barricade. They are a progressive post-hardcore band from San Francisco, CA. The band got a good reaction from the crowd, especially a pit, which I thought was weird. I, The Mighty aren't really a heavy band. They are heavily influence by Circa Survive and Coheed and Cambria. The band wasn't really my type of music but their sound was great. I recommend seeing this band if you are a fan of the bands I mentioned before.
The second band of night was A Lot Like Birds. They are from Sacramento, CA and are a progressive driven post-hardcore band. They were a lot different from I, The Mighty. I never got the chance to check out this band before hand. There are a six piece band while 3/4 of the bands that were playing that night were a four piece band. This band brought something different to the table. There were two singers, two guitarists, a bassist, and a drummer. The first two songs I was digging because it reminded me of At The Drive-In and The Blood Brothers. The rest of the set I started to dislike them because it was becoming I Set My Friends on Fire and I wasn't having that at all. They got really annoying real fast and I stopped liking them. I wasn't really a fan of this band.
The third band of the night, Stray From The Path, is a hardcore band from Long Island, New York. They mix their hardcore influences with Rage Against The Machine and Deftones. This was my sixth time seeing them and my fourth time at this venue. Stray also never disappoints and last Friday they were on point. The only thing that sucks was that not a lot of people are really into them but they have a great live performance. What was great about this set was that they played a lot of songs from Make Your Own History and Rising Sun, which was really cool and they also did a cover The Ramones "Blitzkrieg Bop". The pit was crazy for them and people were going off for them. Definitely a great time seeing this band. If you haven't seen this band, you're messing up big time.
Enter Shikari was the final band of the night and its been two years since I've seen this band. This was my third time seeing them and I missed them the last year warped tour. I gave their new album The Mindsweep a listen. I didn't like it the first time listening to it, but the second time I enjoyed it a lot. Seeing them playing the new songs, including "Radiate", was amazing. Plus I think it was one of the longest sets I've ever seen at the Gramercy Theatre. By far one of the best times I ever had at an Enter Shikari show. They could have played some old songs but they were amazing. I enjoy seeing this band time after time. Probably one of the most fun band to see live and they aren't a ska band. The drummer was the only member that didn't play in the crowd. Seriously one of the best live bands of today. If you haven't seen this band you are missing out.
Enter Shikari- 9.75/10
Stray From The Path- 9/10
A Lot Like Birds- 6/10
I, The Mighty- 8/10
The Gramercy Theatre- 8/10
Concert Overall- 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment