Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Three Shows in one night.

Last Friday I went to three shows in the Williamsburg area of Brooklyn. The venues were Kinfolk 94, Music Hall of Williamsburg, and Brooklyn Night Bazaar. The shows were Ceremony, Swervedriver, and Teen Suicide.
The First show of the night was Ceremony at Kinfolk 94. Kinfolk 94 was a very interesting small venue. The venue seemed only to fit 150 people and this was a free show. Since there was no stage Ceremony played on the floor which is a lot more intense than playing on a stage. This show was somewhat like an listening party. The day before the show Ceremony announce they're releasing a new album. The L-Shaped Man will be release May 19, 2015. There was no opening band just Ceremony. They played most of the album and I really enjoyed it a lot. It was really influenced by 1980's post punk music. I know that people give a lot of crap to Ceremony from being a hardcore band turning into a post punk revival band. Personally I don't care what Ceremony does because they are awesome. I can't wait for the new album to come out. Ceremony most of the album and played some old tunes. Of course when Ceremony played "Sick" the place went wild. This was my second time seeing them and I totally recommend seeing this band. Such a great live band.
My second show of the night was three block south of Kinfolk 94. Swervedriver was playing at the Music Hall of Williamsburg. Swervedriver is a Shoegaze band from the United kingdom and are one of the top four shoegaze bands of all time. This includes My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive and Ride. Swervedriver are tour for their support of their new album I Wasn't' Born to Lose You. Music Hall of Williamsburg is a nice venue with no barricade and always has really interesting shows here. The opening band of the show was Gateway Drugs. Gateway Drugs are from Los Angeles, CA. I enjoyed their set a lot really 80's based with some Sonic Youth influence. What was great is that they finish their set with a 60's song. They covered The Count Five's "Psychotic Reaction". Here this song live was great because its a true rarity. They put an crazy mix into it but still came out great. Up next Swerverdriver. Swerverdriver were so loud and amazing. Hearing some of the classics were great. The only problem I had was that since I was so up close the vocals sounded off. When I was in the back for "Duel" it was amazing. Swervedriver is a band I could go see again because they are amazing and shoegaze is amazing. Swervedriver I totally recommend seeing them. They put on a great show.    
My third show of the night was Teen Suicide at Brooklyn Night Bazaar. This was seven blocks North of the music hall. This show was a free show and I got there just in time to see Teen Suicide get on stage. Teen Suicide I don't know much about before going to this show. Just by seeing them I'm guessing a poppy emo band. I thought I wasn't going to like them but I was really into them a lot. What was great the reaction they got from the crowd and how diverse the crowd was. I never seen some much diversity before at a show. There were hipsters, punk rockers, crusties, really openly gay people, white collar workers, skaters, and even metalcore kids. Teen Suicide played a really good set. I really enjoyed them a lot and love to see them again. I'm sorry to the other five bands that played Amanda X, Flagland, Crying, Washer, and Lvl Up. Hopefully one day I'll see these bands. Overall great night and great shows.
Ceremony 10/10
SwerveDriver 9.5/10
Teen Suicide 9/10
Gateway Drugs 8.5/10
Kinfolk 94 10/10
Music Hall of Williamsburg 9/10
Brooklyn Night Bazaar 9/10
Concerts Overall 9/10  

No comments:

Post a Comment