Monday, April 6, 2015

New Found Glory, Turnstile, This Wild Life, and Turnover at The Paramount 3/29/15

Two weeks ago, I finally got the chance to see New Found Glory. NFG is a pop-punk band from Coral Springs, Florida and has been around since the late 90's. The tour was a very diverse lineup. The show was located at the Paramount in Huntington, which is coming down to be one of my favorite venues that has a barricade. Very clean and well run, I recommend seeing a show there. This was also my first time coming here and not seeing The Dropkick Murphys.
The first band of night Turnover. Turnover is from Virginia Beach, VA. Turnover was really sad and soft. To be honest, I thought I was going to like this band. Before this show, I checked out their material and I liked it. Turnover was a song into their set when I got in, but they played nothing but new stuff. They kind of put me to sleep. I really didn't care for this band. I would try again to get into them, but their live performance turned me off.
The second band, This Wild Life, is from Long Beach, CA. This is a duo where one member is playing an acoustic guitar, while the other is playing an electric guitar. Another band on this lineup I truly did not care for. The only thing I like about this band was the use of electric guitar. The acoustic guitar was playing open chords and the electric was playing quiet leads. I wasn't really a fan of this band but check them out if you like this style. It's not folk-punk, so I wasn't too into it.
Third band of the night Turnstile. Turnstile are a hardcore band from Baltimore, MD. This is my fifth time seeing this band and every time I see them they get better and better. Once they started, a massive pit opened up for them. It got so big that security was near the pit for anything upcoming.   My only problem with this set was that there was a barricade, and there should never be a barricade when Turnstile performs. This was also the longest set I've ever seen by them and they played two covers. One was from Minor Threat and Inside Out. Turnstile played a mix of old and new songs. The reaction from the pit was great but from what I saw, people up front were trying to stay away from the pit. One of the best hardcore pits I ever been in.  Turnstile is always a great band to see live and if you've never seen them, you're missing out.
The headline act, New Found Glory, took the stage and the place erupted. Now, I didn't know this but the lead singer Jordan Pundik broke his foot and he's been performing with a boot on. Still, NFG was great and it was cool hear "Hit or Miss" and "My Friends Over You". Pundik still has a great stage presence and they were a lot of fun. I thought I wasn't going to be into them, but the crowd liked them. I'm glad I'm finally saw them. The main reason I went was to see Turnstile again but NFG were really good. If you like pop-punk, then go see this band.
New Found Glory- 8.75/10
Turnstile- 9.5/10
This Wild Life- 6/10
Turnover- 6.5/10
The Paramount- 9.5/10
Concert Overall- 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment