Monday, April 27, 2015

Review- Four Phantoms by Bell Witch

Seattle's  Bell Witch is a two man project formed by Dylan Desmond and Adrian Guerra, they recently released a four track release entitled Four Phantoms. At a lengthy hour and six minutes, this release is an experience in its own right. I had found these guys through bandcamp surfing, as I've found a number of artists I've reviewed. I have to say I'm a newcomer to the funeral doom genre and this is a great act to get into them by for sure.
 To start, the production value on this release is phenomenal, it's very smooth and everything is very audible and well put together. The feeling of depressing, soul crushing sadness is very prevalent through the release and I would definitely give them points for the almost medieval feeling they give to their sound. Producer Billy Anderson definitely did a phenomenal job with this one.
 Instrumentally I am nothing but surprised with how loud and full a two man act can be. The bass is rattling, meditative and depressive, the drums give great feeling to the tracks and are at a perfect pace. The vocals are really where this release shines, they give the greatest emotion and depth which to me is key for this release's grade. In total, I have to give this release a solid 8/10.

Listen to Bell Witch's new release here!

No comments:

Post a Comment