Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Spring Mixtape 2015

Last Saturday March 28 East Coast Collective put on their annual fest that brings out the best bands from punk, hardcore, pop punk, and emo. This year the fest was one day and took place at Revolution Music Hall in Amityville, New York. The lineup was Title Fight, Bane, Pianos Become The Teeth, Defeater, Superheaven, Capital, GIVE, Hotel Books, High Card, and Soda Bomb. As a member of Patrician Music Reviews I personally like to thank East Coast Collective for putting this show together.
First band of the fest was Soda Bomb. Soda Bomb are kinda like a pop-punk/emo band. They come from Long Island. This is pretty awesome and must have been an honor to open up a fest on Long Island. Soda Bomb I walked into their second song and they seems really good. Mix of what I mention before but more of a punk rock attention. This was my first time seeing them and they were pretty good. I recommend this local Long Island band.
The second band of the fest was High Card. High Card are a heavily 1980's hardcore band from Long Island. This was my second time seeing this band. Also second time seeing them play at Revolution and playing a fest. High Card I enjoy a lot because they really enjoy the old style of hardcore. It sucks not a lot people were there for them but they were great. High Card also perform a cover of "Fix Me" by Black Flag. I recommend seeing this band because if you like 1980's hardcore bands like Minor Threat and Bad Brains then check them out.
The next band of the fest was Hotel Books. Hotel Books are an indie rock and spoken word bands. They are from Porterville, CA. Probably one of the most interesting bands of the fest. With using the elements of emotion and spoken word brought something new to the table. We see bands like Being As An Ocean and La Dispute do this but Hotel Books is not about being poetic. It seems like the lyrics are all reflecting around the lead singer life. Hotel Books were very interesting and I would totally recommend seeing them if you into the spoken word thing.
The next band of the band was one of the bands I was looking forward to see. GIVE are a rock band from Washington D.C. GIVE was fantastic. Such a great band live and they play so well. It's hard to say what they really are. It seems they really are based off Dischord Records band from the 1980's like bands Embrace, Rites of Spring, and Fugazi. Amazing and I want to see this band again and again. Songs off of their LP Sonic Boom sounded great. If you like really this style of punk then check out this band. I hope I can see this band soon.
The fifth band of the fest was Capital. Capital are a hardcore band from Long Island. I didn't know much about this band before and I expecting that this would be heavy or something. Capital weren't heavy but this did not disappointment me. I actually liked this band a lot because just like High Card and Bane they are a fun hardcore band. Nothing but sing along and stage diving. What I found interesting is that the members of Capital seemed to be in the 40's and they were a lot of people at my age group going off for them. I think that's really cool for kids my age grabbing the mic and stage diving for them. Capital was a really cool band I would like to see this band again and recommend this band.
Now it's time for the second part of the lineup. Superheaven was up and this probably was the loudest band of the night. Superheaven are heavily influence grunge band from Pennsylvania. My first time seeing them and they were amazing. Superheaven had just such a loud fuzz tone and they played every song I loved from them. I couldn't believe how crazy it got for them. People were stage diving like crazy and a lot of movement in the crowd. I really enjoyed them a lot. They were amazing. Even the new song they release the week prior "I've Been Bored" sounded awesome. Most of the songs of the set was from the album Jar which was amazing to finally hear these songs live.  Hopefully I would be able to see this band sometime soon. Amazing live Superheaven was.
Defeater was up next. Defeater are a melodic hardcore band from Boston, MA. This band I've been interested in seeing. I'm not big into melodic hardcore and I was off to the side of all of the action. The set was okay and I wasn't really into them. I've listen to them prior to this and I like it. I am not taking anything away from this band when they played but I wasn't my liking. They got a good crowd reaction though which is very good. Defeater were okay for me and if you are a fan of melodic hardcore and this band would be a great fit for your taste.
Pianos Become The Teeth. The band I really didn't not care for while they were on stage. PBTT are from Baltimore, Maryland and are an emo band. I really didn't care for this band at all. I'm not saying they played bad it just wasn't my cup of tea. Listening to their stuff I dig it but I guess seeing them live wasn't really my liking. It seemed no one was really into them from what I remember.
Up Next was Bane and this was my third time seeing this band. Also probably my best time seeing this band. I loved this band so much and their live performance is amazing. Bane is an hardcore band from Worchester, MA. Bane has been around for twenty years and this year they are calling it quits this year. From start to finish the set was amazing and starting off with "Ante Up." Bane played the longest I ever seen and I'm glad they played that long. The pit was a lot of fun and rushing up to sing along was great also. So much stage dives during Bane. I can see them time after time. I'm upset they are breaking up this year but I'm glad I saw them more than once. Please if you get the chance see this band before they break up do it you wont regret it.
The Final band of the night Title Fight. This is was my first time seeing this band. For three years I only liked one song until I heard their new album Hyperview which made me an instance fan. Title Fight are from Kingston, PA and are a punk band the fuses around melodic hardcore, pop-punk, and shoegaze. From Start to finish Title Fight was amazing. I would never want to miss this band when they comeback. They started off the set with "Murder your memory" then went gun blazing into "Shed". The reaction from the crowd was amazing. Long Island really loves this band a lot and Title Fight were so great. So many stage dives and people singing along to every song. Mostly I was going off to the new songs but still when "Symmetry" was being played I went off. I wish I could see this band night after night with no barricade. Probably one of the best bands right now. If you haven't seen Title Fight your missing out big time.
Title Fight- 10/10
Bane- 10/10
Pianos Become The Teeth- 7/10
Defeater 7.5/10
Superheaven- 9.5/10
Capital 8.5/10
GIVE- 9/10
Hotel Books- 8.5/10
High Card- 8.5/10
Soda Bomb- 8/10
Revolution Music Hall 10/10
Concert Overall 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment