Tuesday, May 19, 2015

ALBUM REVIEW: (Sad) Earth by Superior

Nebraska based prog/djent outfit Superior just put out their record entitled (Sad) Earth on bandcamp, I happened to stumble upon it by bandcamp surfing, how I find a number of releases to review. This release is a strong one, though I find that in a community so saturated by djenty sounding music, this is nothing inherently special to me. Instrumentally this release is strong, with some very well put together guitar tracks, strong leads and a really solid tone, in some of the leads I even pick up black metal elements which are rare to hear in djent, something I'm not sure is inadvertent or not but it works very well for the record itself. The bass tone is incredibly good on this record and I find it easy to move to. The drums are really well done also, overall this record is well put together and produced and earns it's points there.
 Vocally this record is strong as well, with some very powerful vocals and solid lyrical material. All in all, this puts the record in high standing with me. My complaints about this record stem out from a standpoint of seeing this genre over saturated, I don't hear anything particularly special here, nothing that blows me away completely. I feel that this band is just one of many doing this type of music, but they're doing it a lot better than most other bands in the scene.

Overall, this record earns itself a solid 8/10.


Listen to (Sad) Earth here

No comments:

Post a Comment