Tuesday, October 6, 2015

ALBUM REVIEW- Abode by Greater Distance

Greater Distance is a melodic hardcore outfit from Concord California who just recently put out their 5 track release Abode. I found out about this band believe it or not by looking for melodic hardcore bands for my friend to listen to. Now I'm not the biggest fan of the genre, but I definitely like it, as I am a fan of bands such as Hundredth and Being As An Ocean, so I found this release enjoyable to say the least.
 Sonically this is a phenomenally produced release, very crisp sounding so kudos to Ben Hirschfield who mixed, mastered and recorded this record. The guitar tone is really nice and the riffs are great and flow well through the tracks. I can say the same about the bass and drums as well as having some sick breakdowns to boot. I'm particularly partial to the fact that the drummer incorporates blast beats into his drumming which isn't common for the genre. Now vocally, I think the vocalist has great vocals and it adds to the emotion and feeling of the tracks, however I feel like the range he's using is somewhat monotonous, and maybe its just me nitpicking but I'd like to hear some lower vocals on their end.
 Lyrical material seems to follow the same themes that are typical of the genre, however they still remain emotional and heartfelt, and they take a nod from Being As An Ocean by incorporating some spoken word on the track "Melancholy" which I personally really like. The clean vocals on the same track also work really well, but sound auto tuned to me, so they lost some points there in my book.
 Overall, I have to say that this release was enjoyable, and felt as heartfelt as the band makes it out to be. I can appreciate it sonically and lyrically and I could only hope to see their stage performance one day if I ever find myself in their neck of the woods.

8.5/10

Listen and purchase here

No comments:

Post a Comment