Monday, October 12, 2015

REVIEW- Exitium EP by Castiel

Klagenfurt based downtempo band Castiel not too long ago, put out their 5 track EP entitled Exitium. Now I had found out about this band almost completely by accident. A few of my friends had known who they were but I found them I believe through a breakdown video compilation by hearing the breakdown in their song Phantom. I was absolutely blown the fuck away by how heavy this band is upon listening, and quite possibly the heaviest band we've reviewed to date on this publication.
 Sonically, this band is nothing short of the epitome of an assbeater, with some of the heaviest guitars I've heard since Black Tongue released their first EP. It's heavy as hell but at the same time incredibly atmospheric in the darkest possible way. It's not very complex in the way of guitars, or bass for that matter, the drums do get complex in some parts because of some very great slams, I happen to really enjoy the progressions and the drum patterns on this whole release. It's formulaic and I think it works incredibly well for this band, they clearly know what the hell they're doing and it shows on just how phenomenally heavy this record is.
 I wanted to touch more upon the vocals though, which are some of the best growled vocals I've heard in a very, VERY long time. On the titular track you can hear just how amazing he is, with a growl that lasts for almost 17 seconds, and on the track Phantom which is not on this release, it goes for almost 30.
 In short, this record earns a solid 8/10, its super heavy and ignorant, while still remaining enjoyable and shows the talent of the musicians playing.


8/10
Listen and buy here!

No comments:

Post a Comment