Sunday, October 11, 2015

The Last Woodshop show feat. Iron Chic, Slingshot Dakota, Greensleep, Makeshift, Survivor's Gulit. 10/08/15


             Last Thursday Table Three Media presented the final Woodshop show. The Woodshop is a DIY venue in Copiague, New York. The venue is all ages, BYOB, and a lot of fun. This was my second time being at this venue and I wish I went to a lot of shows at this venue. The first time I was there was The Eddie Leeway Show back in August. This time around it was Iron Chic, Slingshot Dakota, Greensleep, Makeshift, and Survivor’s Guilt. Every band except Slingshot Dakota was from Long Island. If you weren’t at this show you messed up and hopefully Long Island will get a new DIY spot.   

            The opening band of the night was Survivor’s Guilt. This was my second time seeing this melodic/post hardcore band.  To describe the sound I hear a mix of Counterparts, Touché Amore and American Nightmare. Fun fact their last song was cover by American Nightmare which was really cool. Survivor’s Guilt is basically a local band that loves these styles of music. The band was really tight and I notice some people singing along. At one point I saw a fan ran up to the mic to sing along. I wish they had a better reaction because people seemed to more in the back and not up in front. I was really surprise no one was going crazy for the AM cover but overall they were a good opener.

            Up next was Makeshift. This was their first show since East Coast Collective’s Summer Mixtape back in August. Makeshift are a four piece Pop-Punk band that more unique than a lot of the other Pop-Punk bands in the local scene know. Just by listening to them live I heard a lot of Punk influences which I loved because a lot of the newer Pop-Punk bands are trying to play a breakdown. I’m not really a fan of breakdowns with my Pop-Punk music because the songs aren’t violent at all. Otherwise Makeshift had a really good set. If you like Pop Punk with some strong Punk influences this band is for you.

            Greensleep was up and they were something else. This band came back this year I believe after an eighteen year break. These guys wear Jawbreaker. They played songs that sounded like Jawbreaker and everything about them was great. They showed more of a nerdy and political side but I loved every song. I really like this band and they were my favorite of the night. Greensleep I would love to see them again. What sucked about their set was that no one moved up and people seemed bored. They sounded like how a band should sound like in my opinion. If you ever get a chance you have to see this band.

            Slingshot Dakota was up next and they were the only band not from Long Island. The leader singer was actually from Long Island but the band home base is Bethlehelm, PA. The band is actually a Duo which I didn’t know prior and they are a couple which is really cool. The duo had drums and Keyboard which I thought was really cool. What was also cool is that they played on the floor. The Woodshop has a small stage that’s maybe a foot high but Slingshot Dakota played with the crowd. I was right behind the drummer and I really liked them. The band was really different and they were very unique.

            The final band of the night was Iron Chic. This was my first time seeing this band and I couldn’t believe I finally got the chance. I’ve missed them playing Long Island/NYC so many times and I was so happy I got to see them. The crowd went apeshit once they started to play. People were moshing, crowd surfing, and plenty of sing along. Each song sounded great live and I just the atmosphere of that show. What sucked about this show was that Iron Chic was the only band that got a good reaction. Iron Chic was the perfect band to close out the venue. Iron Chic is probably the best punk band from Long Island, I’m mad that it took me this long just to see this band. Overall Iron Chic joins the list of my favorite bands from Long Island.  
Iron Chic- 9.5/10
Slingshot Dakota- 9/10
Greensleep- 10/10
Makeshift- 8/10
Survivor's Guilt- 8/10
The Woodshop- 10/10
Overall Concert- 9/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment