Saturday, October 3, 2015

ALBUM REVIEW- Harley Poe - Satan, Sex and No Regrets

OCTOBER IS UPON US!!!!!!


You know what that means, pumpkin spice lattes, fall weather, spooky scary skeletons and all that cool stuff. So to get into the spirit of the month, we here at PMR decided to give an older(from 2012) and very spooky release a little love. This release is a recent discovery of mine, and one I almost instantly began to play on repeat from the get go.
 Harley Poe is an Indiana based "horror folk" outfit with material dating back to 2007 with the EP "Harley Poe and the Dead Vampires". Taking influences from horror culture, the occult and more into their songwriting, along with a great folk twist, this band is not only incredibly unique, but wholeheartedly enjoyable. This release, entitled Satan, Sex and No Regrets is their 2012 release and the first one I had found.
 To start with, the instrumentals are spot on, with some really great sounding arrangements for the tracks. Some of my particular favorite parts are on tracks such as Hearse Song or Taxidermy Girl. They're eerie, and for lack of a better word spooky as hell on some tracks. The lyrical material and vocals are where this release really stands out. The songs about all manner of horror related things are a great change of pace from most folk/folk punk acts. The vocals however are where I find myself complaining ever so slightly, they don't have much of a change of tone, I'd like if the range was expanded upon further. But the singular tone of voice also helps carry this release further, in my opinion .

All in all, I give this record a solid 8/10 and I'd highly recommend picking it up!

Listen and buy here

No comments:

Post a Comment