Sunday, October 18, 2015

Topshelf Records 2015 CMJ Showcase


            Last Thursday, Topshelf Records hosted their CMJ showcase at the Brooklyn venue Shea Stadium. The showcase featured some of the bands from label. In total there was seven bands playing and this was a fun show. I was mostly there for Nai Harvest and Donovan Wolfington but a good portion of the bands were great. Plus I never saw any of these bands that were playing that night. Also this was my first ever CMJ event and this was also for free.

            The opening band of the night was Lizard Kisses. Lizard Kisses are from Brooklyn, NY and they were a slow opener. As I mention many times before in my reviews I’m not fan of slow openers. Lizard Kisses was not for me but I really liked the instrumentals of the band. The guitars in the band sounded so good and the band kind of had this Post-Rock feel to them. Also they had violin in the band which was crazy because he was also playing with foot pedals. I thought that was wild. Overall I was not really into them but if you love Indie Rock with some Post Rock influences then check them out.

            Infinity Girl was up next. This Noise Rock/Shoegaze band from Brooklyn was incredible. They were totally unreal and I loved them just by hearing their first note. Once they were about to play the first note I knew they would be insane. Shoegaze is becoming a big thing again but this band I felt like wasn’t shoegaze they only took the influences. They prove that they can be different and were not trying to copy everyone else today. If you like My Bloody Valentine, Sonic Youth, and Punk Rock this band would totally be for you. I’m 100% seeing Infinity Girl the next time they are playing in NYC.

            Clique took the stage and brought it down a level. This band is from Philly and they brought a mild form of Emo. It was very lad back and also very catchy. The band reminded me of chilled out Joyce Manor. I notice people who were up front were singing along and this was the first band of the night that people were going off. Overall Clique was a cool band and I really like their sound.

            Solids return the noise to this show with their set. Solids are a two piece band from Montreal, Canada that features a guitarist and a drummer. Also on stage with them were two small spot lights. At first I thought this was going to be so crazy metal band because bands like Cult Leader and Meek is Murder only play with one small spot light on stage. Back to Solids set, they blew me away with the Noise Rock and Punk Rock influences. Solids was something else and it’s really cool them all the way from Canada to play this show. Solids put on a great set and everybody who reads should listen to them.

            Up next was Wildhoney a band from Baltimore, Maryland and just by looking at this band I didn’t know what to expect at all. The lead singer looked like the lead singer of Jefferson Airplane, the guitar players look straight out of 1980’s Manchester, and I was like thinking this has to be good. First song I was like wow there so many influences in this band. The lead singer voice was really good and she used a lot of reverb. The Guitars sounded really good and drums were great. I thought I was going to dislike this band they proved me wrong. Wildhoney is a band you don’t want to sleep on.

            Donovan Wolfington came on and I was in awe. This Indie-Punk band is from NOLA and they were a lot of fun. Someone try to start a pit but that failed. I felt not a lot of people were going off for them. I know I was and I thought they had the best set of the night. Donovan Wolfington was great. I just recently got into this band over the summer and seeing them really amazed me. Their style is great and their looks are great. The new album that came out this year How to Treat the Ones you Love is a great album and everybody should go get it. This is another band that will rule the underground so you better go to see this band and support this band.

            The final band of the night Nai Harvest came across the pond from Sheffield, UK. This band is a two piece like Solids but a different style of music. Nai Harvest is extremely influenced by the 90’s both American and British rock. Nai Harvest was great because their songs are catchy and just flow all together. The only band bad part of this set was after each song people left which sucked because they really are a good band. Overall is this miss show you mess up because this was probably one of the best free shows I ever been and a lot of these bands that played were good.  

Nai Harvest- 9/10

Donovan Wolfington- 10/10

Wildhoney- 8.75/10

Solids- 9/10

Clique- 7.75/10

Infinity Girl- 9.5/10

Liard Kisses- 7/10

 

      

    

No comments:

Post a Comment