Monday, June 8, 2015

Refused, Creepoid, and Oblterations at Music Hall of Williamsburg 6/4/15


Last Thursday Refused played a sold out show at the Music Hall of Williamsburg. This the second out three shows that was sold out and was in NYC area. The first show was Bowery Ballroom and last show was at Saint Vitus Bar. This was their first tour back in The United States since the 2012 reunion. They also broke up again and came back this year and releasing a new album. Music Hall of Williamsburg was where the show was and I loved this place because it more than a 400 cap venue with no barricades. Plus it seems every time I come to this venue it’s a reunion show or a shoegaze show. This show was the best show of the year so far. The show goes down on my top 5 of all time replacing my first time seeing Dropkick Murphys at the paramount.

            The opening act was The Obliterations. Obliterations are from Los Angeles, Ca and play an old school form of hardcore. They play fast and bring back the vibes from the 1980’s. At first it seemed that it was a band getting on stage because everyone in the band had really long hair. Obliterations were ripping fast with their songs the only thing is the vocals seemed off with the music being played. The singer’s vocals were like thrash metal vocals and even early black metal vocals. It didn’t seem to fit and I have listened to this band before. The singer didn’t sound like that. Overall I like this band and I wish that there was more of a crowd for them. No moment at all just the lead singer going nuts.  

            The next band was Creepoid. Creepoid are a noise rock band from Philly. Creepoid started off their set with a fog machine covering the entire room. I haven’t seen something like this since I saw Whirr a few months ago where they covered the entire venue (Baby’s All Right) and tripped the alarm. Creepoid didn’t do that fortunately. Creepoid’s set I wasn’t into. They zoned me out and I kept looking around that the fog. They had a good crowd but no reaction to them. Creepoid was really boring and I don’t get bored with bands I don’t listen to. Their music wasn’t my thing.

            Refused was finally on and the fog cleared out. Refused is an experimental hardcore band from Umea, Sweden. This was my first time seeing them and I’ve been waiting to see them since 2012. I wasn’t into this band when they came back I got into them after they broke up again later that year.  They started off with their new song that I liked which is “Elektra” off of their new album Freedom. Then they went into “The Shape of Punk to Come”. When that song was being played people went off including me. They kept playing their old material and I was just going off. I loved this band a lot and a lot of people were going off with me. I love the way that they were dressed. They looked like a 1970’s arena rock band. I loved it and so much aggression with the music that was being played. Refused played some of the new stuff that not of a lot people like but they were much better live than recorded. The old songs sound so much better live than recorded also. This was show of the year. Nothing will top this show and if you didn’t see them well you’re missing up big time.

Refused- 1,000,000,000/10

Creepoid- 6.5/10

Obliterations- 8/10

Music Hall of Williamsburg- 9/10

Overall Concert- 11/10             

No comments:

Post a Comment