Wednesday, June 3, 2015

ALBUM REVIEW: Connector by I The Mighty

Hey guys! I'm back again, this time with Connector by I The Mighty; Connector is hot off the press, just being released today.  I'll never forget the first time I saw I The Mighty, roughly a year ago when they toured with Coheed and Cambria, along with Balance and Composure.  I think that was an awesome tour, with respect to I The Mighty, seeing as how all of the bands shared awesome progressive and agressive qualities.  Plus the fact that with each tour that ITM goes on, they gain a quality from the bands they spend their time with.  For example, on Connector I hear alot of progressive qualities, such as the occasional change in time signature and polyrhythms, as well as the vocal intensity.

Connector is a 12 song LP with songs such as "Andrew's Song" and "Playing Catch With .22" that have such deep meaningful qualities like you would find in bands such as Balance, which is another quality that was gained from that tour.  Unfortunately, I think that they missed the mark on the more progressive aspects of their music, and given they aren't a purely prog band, but if you're gonna do it then really commit to it. When they include progressiveness in their songs it's so light that it's barely noticable, which really dissappoints me because that was a quality that I always admired in them; the perfect balance between prog and rock.  On the upside, I do think that they have an amazing balance between intensity and softness in both vocals and instrumentals, and for me that really decides how I feel about an album.  In THAT aspect they hit the nail right on the damn head! Also, you can't deny that Brent Walsh has that voice that you just can't get enough of, that really keeps you listening. With very moderate and not annoyingly overcomplicated instrumentals, I The Mighty certainly are worth a look. I give Connector a 7/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment