Sunday, June 21, 2015

ALBUM REVIEW: Not Like This by Iron Chic


When I was first asked to check out Iron Chic, I had no clue what to expect. Only then, did Facebook reveal to me how many of my closest friends were already into them. Clearly, I must have missed the memo, at some point.

After turning on Iron Chic's 2010 first full-length release, "Not Like This", I very quickly realized that this is a prime example of an album that keeps you pumped, extremely energetic, feeling like you want to dance, and all of this, while making you feel and relate to a rainbow of feelings, with their anthem-worthy lyrics. The inspiration from earlier punk roots, such as The Casualties, is very prevalent, and is especially noticeable in songs such as "I Always Never Said That". My only complaint is that, after a few songs, my "hype" starts to die down, because some songs start to sound very rhythmically similar.

From beginning to end, Iron Chic is the kind of band that you blast in the car with your other punk friends, and shout the lyrics, until your lungs give out. Needless to be said, Iron Chic gives me, what I call, the "Menzingers" effect: imagining that I'm in a small venue with people I don't know, but we're all getting along and moshing into each other, while shouting the memorable and anthemic and contagious lyrics in unison. Ultimately, after listening to this album a few times, I fell in love, and realized that the memo that I missed was quite the urgent one.

9 / 10 

EDIT: I bumped this from an 8 to a 9, after actually listening to this while driving.



No comments:

Post a Comment