Friday, June 5, 2015

ALBUM REVIEW: Pop Culture by Knocked Loose

Last year, Knocked Loose released Pop Culture, a 5 track EP that I only wish I had found out about sooner. I had found out about this band through hearing about their split with Damaged Goods that came out last month. Going back and listening to this release, I can absolutely see why they get the hype that they do. This five piece band from Kentucky is going somewhere for sure, and I can only hope that it is onward and upwards.
 Instrumentally, this release comes in strong with some very heavy, metallic hardcore guitar riffs and leads. But what REALLY hit me on the instrumental aspect of this record is the really awesome bass tone. It most certainly adds to the tenacity and aggressiveness of the music, and leads for some really aggressive, mosh worthy breakdowns. And I mean the type of breakdowns that you see people crowdkill to. A lot of other elements that are typical of the genre, such as using feedback intros are also prevalent in this record as well. The drums give great motion and feel to the record, and are well put together in the scope of the songs themselves.
 Production wise this record is very good, with no audible hiccups in the audio or anything of the sort. Needless to say, they chose a really great producer on this record for sure. Finally, I want to talk about the vocals, they fit in very well here, clear and audible yet as aggressive as you would want a hardcore record to be. The backing growls also fit in very well, and add a special unique touch to the songs they're on.  In sum, I have to give this record a solid 8/10 a great release from Knocked Loose, and one I highly recommend listening to and picking up.

Listen to/pick up Knocked Loose's record Pop Culture here on Bandcamp

1 comment:

  1. Great Review! Love this EP, they have really lived up to the hype.

    ReplyDelete