Sunday, June 21, 2015

Show review- Primitive Weapons//Mutoid Man// The Dillinger Escape Plan at Irving Plaza

The other night, I had the pleasure of seeing a few really great bands at Irving Plaza, Primitive Weapons, Mutoid Man, and The Dillinger Escape Plan. Going into this show, I knew that I'd at least get fucked up during one of the bands. And I did as expected as I was clocked square in the jaw during Dillinger's set. But to begin this review, I'll start by talking about Primitive Weapons and their set.
 Primitive Weapons is a post hardcore band from New York City, and going into this show I had no idea what they were about besides the one track I had heard by them, which was Quitters Anthem. They had a lot of energy, and were definitely enjoyable but really only as an opener in my opinion. This band is definitely for fans of Struck by Lightning, Khann and Bone Dance. The next band up for the night was Mutoid Man another band from the NYC area. They had a lot of energy and great sound, and I was pretty bummed I couldn't catch their after show set at St. Vitus bar in Brooklyn(a venue you should check out if you can get in, as most shows are 21+ there). Mutoid Man are totally FFO Floor, KEN Mode, and Helms Alee with fast paced parts, great riffs and great vocals.
 Finally, the main act went on, The Dillinger Escape Plan who absolutely rocked the fucking venue. Within two minutes of the first track, vocalist Greg Puciato began to climb up all over the venue, and jumping into the crowd as if it were nothing at all. But it wasn't just him it was the whole band jumping around and just having a whole ton of energy. The crowd itself was also incredibly energetic, the pit was wild and I definitely got punched in the face during the second song. Musically they sounded great live, and I was particularly partial to the basstone that was the most audible. They also played every song I wanted them to play, such as Prancer, One of Us Is The Killer, Panasonic Youth, and The Mullet Burden. Me and my friend after we got out were bruised, sore, one of us got knocked out and were equally covered in sweat, overall a great show, and a big shoutout to Invisible Oranges and Brooklyn Vegan for putting it on.

Primitive Weaons- 5/10

Mutoid Man 7/10

The Dillinger Escape Plan- 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment