Friday, November 6, 2015

ALBUM REVIEW- EP by Barus

Recently, a French death metal band named Barus put out a fine release that I found through surfing through bandcamp. Upon listening, I found a chaotic, amalgamation of black and death metal that I can only describe as pure, good heavy tunes. According to their bandcamp page, "BarĂºs evokes a weight, a burden. Through music, it reveals an introspective state of mind: A grain of sand lost in the vastness. A questioning of all things. Death. " and I must say that if that isn't the most metal fucking thing, I don't know what is. 
 To start, sonically this band is extremely well put together, with some really catchy, heavy riffs and leads that drift ever so casually into the avant-garde end of the metal spectrum. With a broad spectrum of sound that does not fall into any particular catagory but takes elements from many, this is something that I find incredibly interesting. The drum and bass parts of the tracks are incredibly solid as well. Though, I have to say I am most partial to the sampling in the background that adds a sense of atmosphere to the tracks.
 Vocally, this release is very much typical of metal, though some chanting sounding vocals in the background add a special atmosphere that makes it somewhat atypical in a great way. Some of my favorite tracks on this release are Tarot and Chalice, the later particularly so for its incredibly heavy chug which grinds at the very soul almost in a dreadful way.
 Overall, this release is an interesting one to say the least and earns itself a solid 8/10 for that, and its incredibly well put together instrumentals. Pick up their tunes on bandcamp, the link will be below!

Bandcamp link

No comments:

Post a Comment