Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Review- flawed. by Autopsy Turvy

Recently, a pal of mine approached me with this release from Potsdam based pop/emo/folk-punk band Autopsy Turvy. Listening to it for the first time, I was drawn in by the emotion it brings but was also drawn to the lo-fi quality that makes this a little gem to listen to if you're feeling down at all.
 I think the sound they're going for is interesting primarily because of the mix of genres they're including in the sound. It draws elements of emo, folk, folk punk and even pop punk in some aspects.  Sonically, the instrumentals are somewhat muted because of the audio quality but it adds a charming effect to the release as a whole. I'm particularly fond of the addition of the banjo on the second track, as well as the trumpet that is featured through out the whole thing. Accompaniment aside, the great vocals on this release are what really shines for me. The lead vocals are great and add a lot of feeling to them but the louder backing vocals are what I'm most particularly fond of. This also goes to the gang vocals that are heard through out.
 The lyrical content is very typical to this style of music, with motifs of loss, breakups, stagnancy of growing older and the like. It really makes the whole thing relateable as well as catchy and easy to learn so one could potentially join in on the gang vocals at a live performance if you're into that kind of thing, which I think goes without saying, most people are.
 All in all, this release is solid, and I'll bestow upon it a solid 7/10. The thing I would work on if I was in this band was making the instrumentals a tad louder, but other than that, it's a solid release and I look forward to more from Autopsy Turvy

Listen and download on Bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment