Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Deafheaven, Envy, and Tribulation at Webster Hall 11/05/15


              Last Thursday, I went to Webster Hall to see Deafhevaen for the second time. Deafheaven is a band that mixes black metal with elements of post metal and shoegaze. The band has recently been titled the heads of “Blackgaze.” Deafheaven is currently on tour with legendry Japanese screamo band Envy and the band Tribulation. This show was sold out show and I believe this was their biggest headlining show, with a max capacity of 1,000 fans.

            The opening band Tribulation was an interesting opener. Tribulation is from Sweden and they are a combination of black metal and rock 'n roll. At first, I was thinking this was just a generic black metal band. I was very wrong. They played a lot of slower than expected and they had this really weird hard rock vibe. Their clothes were very 70’s Arena Rock but they had corpse paint on. This is probably the closest black metal band to really look like Kiss. I give this band a lot of credit because they weren’t generic by any means. They were not a band for me, but I have a lot of respect for them.

            Envy took the stage and I did not know what to expect. Envy's set was just mind blowing. Envy went from these spoken word parts (which were in Japanese), to straight post-rock jams, to fast hardcore. Envy got a good reaction from the crowd, even though I did not see anyone singing along. I was thinking I would rather see this band in a small bar instead of a big stage with barricades. They are a type of band that just fits well with a small crowd rather than a huge crowd. This does not take any credit away from their performance because they were something else. Unfortunately, I have no idea when they will be back because this is their first North American tour since 2011/2012. If you ever get the chance to see this band, do not blow your chance. It might be your only time.

            Deafheaven finally took the stage and was just as amazing as the last time I saw them. This "blackgaze" band from San Francisco played an amazing eight song set. They played everything off of their new album New Bermuda and some others. Every song off of the new album sounded perfect. If you have not checked out New Bermuda, you must because it’s 100% different from Sunbather.  The crowd was crazy for Deafheaven. People were moshing and crowd surfing. I thought the first time I saw them that they were something else, but this time I felt that I could see this band night after night. There’s something spiritual about this band I absolutely love this band, far more than any other black metal bands.  Deafheaven is probably the best metal band in my opinion, as of right now. Please, if you are reading this, you must see this band.

Deafheaven- 10/10

Envy- 10/10

Tribulation- 7/10

Webster Hall- 8/10

Overall Concert- 9/10

    

No comments:

Post a Comment