Friday, August 28, 2015

Scott Acquavella of Cryptodira's top five most important albums

We got a chance to ask Scott of Cryptodira to give us his top five most important albums to him, he was more than happy to oblige us, and here is what he had for us!


Five Records That Shaped a Young, Musical Brain

                We often think about what our favorite albums are- probably the ones we find ourselves listening to most regularly, but it could come as more of a challenge to decide which of these records have played the largest role in actually shaping the person we have become musically, morally, or otherwise, and exactly how the hell they were able to do that. That being said, this list is just that for me, and I would encourage anyone who is unfamiliar with these masterpiece records to change that. These are not all necessarily the best albums of all time (although if I were to make that list as well there would be a considerable overlap), but the ones that have changed the way I approach creating music for Cryptodira, as well as how I conduct myself in everyday life.

5. Cynic- Traced in Air




                After only one full length release in 1993 that pushed every single boundary of metal music, Cynic disbanded for a multitude of reasons, most of which boiled down to being unaccepted for being light years ahead of their time. A fourteen year breakup eventually came to end with the release of 2008’s Traced in Air, a (too-short) 35 minute roller coaster that hits every bit of the emotional spectrum. To this day I haven’t heard a record that better combines technically proficient playing, ear-pleasing melody, and, dare I say, “pop-like,” song structure quite like this one. Its emphasis on smooth composition has always served as a reminder to me to make sure everything I write or contribute to writing flows naturally. The way Paul Masvidal’s urgent yet gentle singing sits on top of the growled background vocals during “Integral Birth” has stuck with me since the first time it sent chills up my fifteen year old spine, and the effect-driven, chorus saturated clean tone has become a staple in my own sound thanks to this record.

4. The Dillinger Escape Plan- Option Paralysis
                As a young, babbling idiot (a.k.a. an early high school student), I said my fair share of negative things about Dillinger. I was too young to understand that this garbage-can-falling-down-stairs music was actually brilliant, but somewhere along the line, my bandmates had convinced me to give it another shot (after I had been caught enjoying “Widower”), conveniently right around the time that Option Paralysis was released. I braced myself for the start of the record, but I distinctly remember damn-near shitting my pants after the opening chords of “Farewell, Mona Lisa,” on my walk to the bus stop. Despite my best efforts to not like it and be right (the most important thing in the world in high school), I couldn’t deny how infectious the visceral attitude of the music was. Since then, DEP has shaped the very work ethic and musical dignity of Cryptodira- play the show, play it fuckin’ hard, and leave everything you’ve got on the stage. While it isn’t my favorite DEP record, Option Paralysis sparked my love for one of the greatest bands in the world, and for that it deserves a spot in my heart and this list.

3. Death- Symbolic
                Another legendary act from the Florida death metal scene (I promise, no more after this), Death is arguably the most important death metal band of all time. As a teenager, I remember being turned on to Death by the drummer of my own band and almost immediately, I became fascinated with the story of Chuck Schuldiner, vocalist/guitarist/founding member of Death. After defying all odds to become successful, the evolution of Chuck’s music reflected how important he felt it was to constantly grow as a band in a world where mediocre music reproduces itself constantly, which is an ethic that I’ve adhered to since this time in my life. To me, Symbolic was the golden age of Death where Chuck had found the perfect blend of heavy, traditional death metal and the melodic/progressive elements that had slowly found their way into Death’s music. Death inspired my love for the four-piece/no stand-alone vocalist aesthetic for metal bands and without this record, I most likely would have been way too much of a chicken-shit to suggest that I do vocals in addition to my guitar duty for Cryptodira when our original stand-alone vocalist had left the band. Thanks for this metal masterpiece, Chuck.

2. Green Day- American Idiot
                No, this is not a guilty pleasure. Yes, I still love this album to death. This record is the one that started it all for me. It’s the one that made me harass my parents to buy me a guitar for my birthday, and the one that has ruined my ability to settle for any career path but music, and for that I owe it everything. Despite criticism from fans of older Green Day albums, American Idiot truly is the most complete work that the band has ever produced with its more complex song structures, its use of auxiliary instruments, and its theatrical and cohesive flow. I actually wouldn’t even believe someone who would argue that “Basket Case” is a better song than “Jesus of Suburbia” (not to say I don’t love Dookie as well, because I do). Simply put, this record inspired my love for music and geared my young brain toward liking conceptual records over records that feel more like a collection of songs. Not much else to say about it other than that my life wouldn’t even be close to what it is right now if I had never heard this record. Love it forever, love it to death.

1. Between the Buried and Me- Colors
                While this list is generally in no particular order, I would have to say I put this album at number one for a reason. Sometime in 2007, a friend of mine had showed me the song “Selkies: The Endless Obsession,” from Alaska, and I remember being floored by the incredible melody of the end section, so I figured I’d explore further. Luckily for fourteen year old Scott, Colors had just been released, and that same friend of mine was hell bent on making sure I appreciated this band, so I checked it out. At first, the sheer density of this record made it fly a bit over my head, as I liked it, but I wasn’t convinced it was all that special. Still, for some reason I felt like I had to check it out again. Then again. And again. With each passing listen, the complex layers of the music began to permeate my young brain, making me hear new things every time that I could swear weren’t there the last time. The riffing style was like nothing I had ever heard before and the complexity matched what I was used to hearing from bands like Dream Theater, but with a visceral edge that I felt filled the void of what was missing from progressive music. BTBAM proved to me that it was possible to be progressive and extremely aggressive all at the same time. To this day, the intro riff to “Prequel to the Sequel” is one of the greatest riffs I have ever heard in my life. About eight years later, I am still sitting here trying to peel back the layers of this masterpiece of an album that I consider to be possibly my favorite of all time.

Extremely Honorable Mentions:
Dream Theater- Train of Thought

Converge- No Heroes

No comments:

Post a Comment