Monday, December 14, 2015

REVIEW- 'Dead Society' EP by We Were Giants


Just a few days ago, Boise, Idaho metalcore outfit We Were Giants put out their debut EP entitled 'Dead Society' which has gained a lot of traction in the last few days since it's release. With it streaming on Revolver Magazine and clocking in with a current  9,000 + views on their video for the titular track on YouTube. With some very crunchy guitars and hard hitting and powerful vocals from vocalist Logan Peel, this came as something I could get down to personally, despite not totally being as into the genre as I was a few years ago.  To start, instrumentally this release is formulaic to the genre but it absolutely works for them. With some really crunchy guitars that start out with some really tight intro sound files that remind me a whole lot of In Hearts Wake's most recent release. The drum patterns are very catchy, and easy to move to, and by that I mean you know exactly the points when you can bring that sick mosh. Their bassist also makes himself heard on this release, something I personally am very fond of as well, making a particular little 'bass solo' bit in the track RISE that gave me a little smile for sure.  The band also does something that I enjoy, in the sense that it isn't just mindless down tuned metalcore that you just see kids beating the life out of each other, instead this is thoughtful, tasteful and overall incredibly enjoyable to listen to. Something I'm also very fond of is that the lyrical material isn't just about the same 'metalcore topics' of breakups and the like, they're as mentioned before, very thoughtful and seek to challenge conceptions and social norms. Standing up against hatred, self doubt and societal expectations.  My only real issue with this release is this, that it doesn't bring something wildly amazing to the table. It's formulaic, which I don't inherently dislike, but find to become somewhat redundant. But in the case of We Were Giants, I didn't find a real sense of redundancy and boredom as I find in a number of contemporary metalcore bands this day in age.  This band is absolutely for fans of In Hearts Wake, For The Fallen Dreams, The Color Morale, The Word Alive and even features guest vocals from Garrett from The Color Morale & Chad from For The Fallen Dreams, which I found myself very fond of as FTFD is one of my favorite acts in the genre.

SCORE- 8.5/10

Listen to the stream here

No comments:

Post a Comment