Wednesday, December 23, 2015

REVIEW- Misdirection by Shorebreak

A few days ago, Shorebreak released Misdirection, a four track release. I had found this by somebody showing it to me, as well as one of the other blog writers seeing the band and telling me about them and this release coming out. Upon a first listen, I can say that this is totally for fans of early 2000's pop punk and for fans of bands like The Starting Line, as well as more contemporary acts from the current wave of pop punk.
 Instrumentally this release is formulaic of the genre, with some catchy riffs and drum patterns. I am particularly partial to the guitars on this release as they use a really nice tone. The bass I can't say is very audible which is something I'm very partial to, but that's just me nitpicking. The use of pedals is very much apparent here, which is nice as some bands in the genre choose not to use them, and those who do end up leaning toward the shoegazey side of pop punk/emo.
 The vocals are strong, and very typical sounding of the genre but overall very enjoyable. They add alot of feeling to the lyrical content which, as mentioned a few times already, is formulaic to the genre, but always come from the heart of whoever is writing them. The lyrical content deal with girls, breakups and rejection, and truly do feel heartfelt.
 Where this release will lose points for me is this, it doesn't do anything inherently special with the pop punk/emo genre and I find that formulaic is overall somewhat boring. This however, doesn't mean that the release itself isn't good, because all around it is good, and you can clearly hear the time put into it.

That being said, overall this release earns itself a solid 7.5/10, and I look forward to being able to catch Shorebreak live at some point in time.

Listen and pick up the release here

No comments:

Post a Comment