Monday, July 27, 2015

Cro-Mags and Code Orange in One Day

             Yesterday I went had a double featured event. During the day I was at Mayhem fest just to see Code Orange and later that night I saw Cro-Mags. Mayhem Fest was at Jones Beach Theater and this was probably one of their worst lineups. Slayer and Code Orange were the only cool bands on the tour. Code Orange was the only reason I went and left right after their set. Stub hub had their tickets at like $7 dollars so I said why not.
            While waiting for Code Orange this band called Shattered Sun was playing and I thought they weren’t that good. I felt they were trying very hard. I just wanted Code Orange to come on. Shattered Sun is metalcore band so there’s nothing special with that. Code Orange got on and it was such a different environment for them. Outdoors and barricades plus the crowd weren’t violent. One of factors of this problem was that this weekend was This is Hardcore so most of the Long Island was at Philly. Still Code Orange played a great set and played for 25 minutes which is great. The best of part of the set was seeing dads getting crowd killed. I was also part of this group. This was my sixth time seeing them and I love them every time.
            Later that night I finally had the chance to see the Cro-Mags. In the past two year I’ve missed this band over eight times and last night I finally had a chance. I didn’t get there early enough to see Demon Racer but what sucks is that I found that Shai Hulud drop. Shai Hulud I’ve only seen once but always miss my chances to see them. So the first band I saw was Johnny Booth. Johnny Booth is like a mathcore band with some nice breakdowns. I felt like they were out of place at this show because Cro-Mags is a punk band but they were good. If I saw Johnny Booth at a metalcore show then they would have gotten a good reaction.
            Cro-Mags took the stage with the theme song of the movie A Clockwork Orange. Cro-Mags have been a band for almost 35 years and John Joseph was on stage jumping around like he was a teenage. There were maybe 100 or more people there. Not a lot of you kids which goes back to the factor I said before about This is Hardcore. Cro-Mags set were mostly their first album The Age of Quarrel. They also did some Bad Brains covers and I really enjoyed that. I wish more people were there and also more sing alongs. Also there was two stage dives and this showed that old people don’t move during hardcore shows. The crowd was disappointing but not the Cro-Mags. I could see them again and again.
Cro-Mags- 9.5/10
Code Orange- 9.5/10
Johnny Booth- 8.5/10
Shattered Sun- 6/10
Revolution Music Hall- 9/10
Jones Beach- 8/10

Overall Day- 9/10  

No comments:

Post a Comment