Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Interview with Tom of The Magic Fountain

Just today, I had the chance to speak with Tom of The Magic Fountain. When I had first met Tom, they were at a show that I just so happened to be at, specifically at The Bone Zone. Now, we had spoken for a little while and I was very interested in what they had to say. Of course, I mentioned that I had this blog, and they mentioned that they had a band called The Magic Fountain. A few days later, we would meet with one of their friends in tow at a coffee shop near me, and we would chat for a while, almost an hour really. This was, by far, one of the most interesting interviews I have ever done, because of how engaging it was.
PMR: So first and foremost, this band The Magic Fountain, is it just you or?
Tom: It's definitely more than just me, it's got PJ in it now and as far as I'm concerned, PJ is the other half. I'll keep going and playing acoustic shows because my schedule is more free but not it’s not truly the full experience without him. We really work well together.
PMR: So how did you guys get your start?
Tom: How did we get our start, ok so we had met at Dong Island (RIP) and we were all in the backyard and talking and I had written these songs that I was super self conscious about and I didn't ever know what to do with them. I was super protective and scared and the few times I had to shown them to people, they weren't really receptive to it so it was more like that John Mulaney bit "I'm gonna do keep this right here and then one day I'll die". I was drinking a bit that night so I wasn’t as anxious as usual and I’m talking to this fine mustachioed gentleman named Max Gottesman and they tell me "oh I have all these demos for this record I'm about to put out." and it wound up being the Cool EP. Max's entire band had walked out on them a couple days prior and we got to exchanging demos back and forth as like a "I write songs and play guitar and you write songs and play guitar lets jam." We realized that we didn’t have a drummer but hey PJ plays drums and PJ, I had seen this person before but I had never spoken to them before. So the three of us got together and jammed for a few days there, and it was going to be me playing guitar, Max playing bass and PJ on drums and that was going to be the 3-piece. That never ended up happening because I was super scared about these songs still and Max had such a natural leadership ability that it sort of turned into the Gottem band. We came to the decision that we were going to go on this crazy sixty six day tour of the United States with the 3-piece Gottem band and me opening acoustic as The Magic Fountain. And PJ being there, he heard the songs every night. Turns out that PJ loved that songs and him and I have such a great chemistry and I dunno, it just made sense. So we play as a two-piece now.
PMR: So is it going to remain a two piece?
Tom: The 2-piece thing is cool because PJ and I can just bounce off each other, we can extend certain sections or play a part a different way or just do other weird live experimentation.
PMR: So genre wise, for those reading, what would you classify yourselves as?
Tom: I was holding on to the idea of "NĂ¼-new wave" because it's like jumpy and yelp-y and spastic but also really heavy sometimes. But I don't like to define it as any genre because I've been in bands before where it's been like "oh we wanna sound like this band" and its like I just wanna make the music that comes out of me naturally.
PMR: Like I've noticed when trying to market to someone, like when you want them to join a band you have to be like "Well we want to sound like this that and the third" in order to get them to join.
Tom: Well it's one thing to say that but it's another to say once you joined like "oh that’s not the sound we are going for, don't play that" its like why should you be going for anything? You don’t have to try so hard. Like there are so many different songs on the record like there’s a hardcore song, there’s a folk punk song, fuzzy power pop songs, this one 60’s influenced song, acoustic songs. I don’t wanna pigeonhole myself into making a “sound” at the expense of raw expression.
PMR: From what you've showed me, I was definitely intrigued at how eclectic it was and not in a negative way, all over the place. I think that’s’ what made me enjoy it the most the fact that I wasn't listening to the same record straight through like its not all shouting and these particular riffs, its different and keeps it lively.
Tom: The worst thing a band can be is boring. But there are a bunch of really great records that are great on side A and you can turn it off after track four and I dunno, that’s not the kind of record I wanted to make. I want people to be excited about listening to the whole thing.
PMR: So you've already toured with this project?
Tom: Yes
PMR: That was the sixty six day run?
Tom: Yes that was the sixty six day, full US, from January to March of 2015 and then we played assorted gigs around long island. We went on a weekender in July and were on tour for most of December. We're gonna be touring in March as well for the record and after that I don't know what the hell because I'm out of money. I don't know how I'm gonna be getting around but I'm booking the dates anyway.
PMR: I'm just trying to wrap my head around sixty six days, like that's incredible honestly.
Tom: Yeah, it gets very weird after a while, like it was the coolest thing I've done in my life but it gets to a point where its week 8, and you’re out of money and haven’t showered in a week and you’re eating dry ramen with sriracha and peanut butter and that would be sustenance for the day. We were running out of materials for sure, like there’s a picture of Max blowing their nose with a piece of bread, it was something. But honestly the most fun I’ve ever had has been on tour and it’s really all I want to do now.
PMR: So, to change gears, what are some of your current favorite artists right now?
Tom: PWR BTTM is pretty sick, the music is sick, that song 1994 has the sickest riff. Also that glam drag aesthetic is super inspiring for me. Like I saw that for the first time with all the makeup and the dresses and I was like "FUCK YEAH!” I think there should be so many more bands that are celebrating their queerness with that level of visibility. I’m a huge Jeff Rosenstock fan, but I dunno I'm sort of starved for new music as of late honestly. Rest Ashore out of New Brunswick is really cool, we just saw them the other night and they were so good. Also catlike is the best band in the universe.
PMR: So you've done alot of touring, whats your favorite city?
Tom: I mean, I dunno if I can pick just one? I like alot of places for different reasons. Like people in Ohio are really nice, there’s a really healthy sense of community there that isn't present on Long Island. Philly is always sick, I'm moving to Richmond soon and it's really cool there. Savannah, Georgia is really cool too, the QuoLab there is a great space run by some super inspiring queer folks. Everywhere is fun except New York honestly.
PMR: So if you could pick any 3 bands past or present to open up for, for direct support, who would they be?
Tom: Carly Rae Jepsen first of all!! Honestly, Bruce Springsteen, Talking Heads, B-52's. Oh and Meatloaf too, that would be really the best. Like on last tour we played Bat out of Hell and we'd listen to that record for 6 hours straight cause it was the only CD that worked in the car and I would never get sick of it.
PMR: And lastly, any shoutouts?
Tom: Firstly shoutout to anybody who's supported this band, past or present. Shoutout to Dong Island, Shoutout to Long Island for teaching me alout of ways I don't wanna carry myself, shoutout to Brooklyn for teaching me definately ways I don't wanna carry myself, Shoutout to Heather for driving me here, and shoutout to Flower Jar for putting this record out. We'll be touring this in March,
 check it out!
Preorder from Flower Jar Media here!!!
Listen to the track Song for Dong Island here!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment