Monday, January 11, 2016

REVIEW: Nyctophillian by Then Comes Silence

Today, I found darkwave act Then Comes Silence through bandcamp surfing. Now, I have never really listened to darkwave before this, so I had no idea what to expect but from what I heard, I can understand wholeheartedly why people dig it. It's very much like a 90's horror movie soundtrack but far less goofy and even beyond that could sound like a cyberpunk soundtrack.
 Then Comes Silence is a darkwave act from Stockholm Sweden, with two other releases on top of this one from a few years ago. Now before I begin talking about this, what exactly is darkwave? Well, through some research, I found it to be this, it's a form of new wave that took a darker turn. Coined in the 80's to describe darker post punk/new wave.
 This release, sonically, is enjoyable to listen to with some really great beats, phenomenal drum tracking and some really nice sampling. The guitar work is very nice too, and feels very much post punk and the use of pedals is very much audible. I was particularly fond of the vocals as well, which are very reminiscent of bands like Museum of Devotion or even Bauhaus.
 The sampling is very 80's, and it's really cool to see that this day in age. One thing I really do have to say though is this, is this marketable in the states? I say this because I feel as though this is a very European, and a very niche genre of music. I could imagine myself in some sort of cyberpunk landscape listening to this, or maybe even in a hellraiser movie with the soundtrack being this. Overall, this release has earned itself a solid 7/10 from us, and I look forward to hearing more from Then Comes Silence in the future.

Listen here

No comments:

Post a Comment