Friday, January 15, 2016

The Bone Zone 1/10/15

             Last Sunday I attended a basement show in Glen Clove, New York. The venue was named the Bone Zone. This was my first time going to this venue and probably my first time seeing a basement show. This was really cool because Long Island barley has any DIY spots and what’s crazy is that this in Nassau County. Here on Long Island most of the venues that are either DIY or actual venues are all in Suffolk so this was pretty cool. The lineup for this show was Nobody’s Babe, Catlike, Casanova, Discolor, and Bushido Lou. This was the kickoff show for Nobody’s Babe and Catlike's week long tour of the east coast. All of the other bands that played are also from Long Island.  
            Bushido Lou was first and these guys were an instrumental post-rock emo band. I really dig this band, because I didn't feel their music was too emotional. Granted I heard some American Football influences but the songs weren't sad, which I though was great. The band kind of gave me a Sonic Youth vibe in a weird way. Some of the riffs felt more punk than emo. Overall this was really cool opener and I would love to see this band again.
            Discolor was up and they just released a new EP this New Years called Wake. I’ve been waiting to see these guys for a little bit and I have heard nothing but good things about this band. Their sound is really cool. They reminded me of Balance and Composure. They had three guitarists on stage and the use of a lot of pedals. This was the band I wanted to see the most and they played a great set. I'll try my best to go to all of their Long Island shows.
            Casanova was up and this was my eighth time seeing this band. Casanova is a four piece that loves the 90’s and everything about that decade. Their sound mixes shoegaze and emo but their sound is not generic like most band that abuse those factors today. With a female lead singer their sound mixes with The Breeders, The Pixies, Lush, and Veruca Salt. This band also loves playing with their pedals and with that they have a great sound. Everyone should check out this band because I see a lot of potential and they sound great live.
            Catlike was up. Catlike is a three piece band and both guitarists have amazing guitars and I really enjoyed their sound. Catlike are a dream pop meets bubblegum pop meets surf/garage rock. They were also Lo-Fi. Catlike was cool because there are not many Long Island bands that sound like this. Overall they were great and I enjoyed them a lot. This band is really cool I would like to see them again but I think it would prefect to see them in Brooklyn. I feel Brooklyn would love this band because of their style.
            The final band of the night was Nobody’s Babe. This was my second time seeing this band. Nobody’s Babe is a really cool band, because they're a duo. The band is just a guitarist and a drummer. The band has a really cool sound and I love the vibe of this band. Overall they had a great performance. Good luck to them and Catlike on their upcoming tour. Please support all of these bands and support the Bone Zone. 
Nobody’s Babe- 8.5/10
Catlike- 8.75/10
Casanova- 9/10
Discolor-9/10
Bushido Lou- 8.75/10
The Bone Zone- 10/10

No comments:

Post a Comment