Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Saturday Matinee at AMH 1/16/16

            Last Saturday, Amityville Music Hall had a hardcore matinee that featured Long Island's own Detriment making a stop on their tour with Purgatory.  Detriment and Purgatory went on a week and half tour. This show they had local support from Brainwaves and Hangman. Also, the new Staten Island band  I Disappear made their debut at Amityville. The last time I went to a matinee here, there was barley anyone there and the legendary punk band DOA performed. This time, about fifty people showed up and gave a good reaction for most of the day.
            The first band of the day was Brainwaves. This was my second time seeing this local Long Island band. The first time I saw them they were not good but this time they got better. They were not sloppy like last time and the songs sounded a lot better. What’s really cool about this band is that the band is fronted by a woman which is really cool for Long Island. Overall, Brainwaves needs to work on their music more and get tighter as band. I say in 6-12 months their sound should be even better.
            I Disappear took the stage and this was the band I really wanted to see. Listening to their Demo/EP I was expecting some really cool music. I Disappear loves 90‘s metalcore and their sound was really good. They got an okay reaction from the crowd. I really was not expecting the crowd to mosh but some people did. I really like this band a lot and I would like to see them again. This band is worth checking out if you like Integrity and other big 90’s metalcore bands.
            Hangman was up. This was my third time seeing this local band and my first time seeing them with a second guitarist in the band. I have not seen this band since they opened for Agnostic Front at AMH last September. This was probably the best show I’ve ever seen them play. They had the best set of the day. They sounded so tight and the band sounds so much better with another guitar. They got a pretty good reaction on Saturday which that was the first time I ever saw people moshing for them. Hangman had a really cool 90’s NYHC sound. I can hear Burn, Biohazard and Bulldoze when they play. Overall they were really good totally worth checking out.
            Purgatory took the stage and people started to go off. This was my first time seeing this Nebraska hardcore band and this was their first time playing Long Island. Purgatory got a good reaction from start to finish and they played a really good set. I thought I was not going to like this band at all but they were really good. Each song sounded better and better. Overall they were a good band and I would 100% see them. I could see this band having one of the most violent sets at a festival or something because this was just matinee and people were going off. Also they covered Hatebreed's “Empty Promises” which was really good.
            Detriment was up and the pit was non stop. This was my fourth time seeing them and I loved the fact a lot of people knew their songs. Seriously, Detriment is a really good band. Detriment is a very metal influenced hardcore band. They are very heavy and I love the Crossover feel they have.  Detriment played a great set overall and this was good show for them to come back to. For a Saturday afternoon show they got a good reaction and there were a lot of people there for them. If you have not seen Detriment you are messing up big time.

Detriment- 10/10
Purgatory- 8.75/10
Hangman- 10/10
I Disappear- 8.5/10
Brainwaves- 7/10
AMH- 9/10  
             

No comments:

Post a Comment