Wednesday, January 27, 2016

My First and Last Time at Even Flow Bar and Grill

Last Friday, I went to one of Long Island's most famous local spots for a ska show. Even Flow Bar and Grill is small bar in Bay Shore that has been hosting really cool shows. The venue is closing down next month and I do not know why it took me so long to see a show here. This venue had Sworn Enemy, The Casualties, and Murphy’s Law playing here. The venue seemed perfect for a punk show.
It sucks to see another Long Island venue close. Since 2014 Long Island has lost The Hungarian Hall, The Woodshop, No Fun Club, The Vibe Lounge, and now this place. I could have put 89 North, because they have a no stage diving policy now, so now fun tours never stop there but overall Even Flow was cool. I wish I tried their wings because they smelled so good and I hear nothing but good things about them.  
The show I attended last Friday was the Go Big CD release show with Survay Says!, Eli Whitney & The Sound Machine, and Short Notice.  The band Nix 86 was supposed to play and have their reunion show but had to cancel. I did not stay for Go Big but all of the other bands that played were really good. Short Notice and Eli Whitney and The Sound Machine are local bands. Survay Says! I’ve been waiting to see for awhile.
It was my second time seeing Short Notice and Eli Whitney and The Sound Machine. Short Notice was very good the second time around because the last time I saw them they were only a three piece but this time they had one additional guitar and a brass section. The music sounded a lot tighter and they did a really cover of 3 Doors Down song “Kryptonite.” Eli Whitney and The Sound were really cool. They said they played at the recent punk festival The Fest. They had a mix of pop punk and ska. Their performance was good and I think it’s awesome they played in Gainesville so I have a lot respect for them. Survay Says! was a true ska punk/skate punk band with fast paced songs and a lot of attitude. I am glad I finally got the chance to see them and hopefully I'll see this band again. Everyone who is reading this should support all of the bands that were on this bill.

I payed my respects to Even Flow and hopefully Long Island will not suffer because of this venue closing. Even Flow has done a lot for bands that were local and not local. I wish I came this venue more often but Friday was cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment