Friday, March 27, 2015

Review- Oxymoron by Schoolboy Q

What is up everyone! Happy Saturday! Today I’m gonna serve yall up a review for the album “Oxymoron” by West Coast rapper Schoolboy Q.   The first time I heard Schoolboy Q was on Kendrick Lamars release tour promoting Good Kid M.A.A.D City and I always found him pretty interesting so I figured I'd give him a review.  This is a pretty intense album so lets dive right in.
            Straight off the bat I can tell you that this definitely was a huge release just by looking at some of the names on there like: Jay Rock, Kendrick Lamar, Tyler The Creator, Raekwon, and more.  The thing that I truly find interesting about this release is that Schoolboy Q (unlike most other rappers) lets the guest performers on the track take more control of the song than he does; with respect to the fact that this IS his album, most of the time youll hear the guest verse before you hear his, especially on songs like Collard Greens and The Purge.  You also cant get past the fact that Schoolboy Q takes this album very casually, it doesn’t just continuously pound you with heavy songs and beats.  There are some very calm beats and verses on the album that don’t make you feel overwhelmed while you listen.
            On the opposite side of the spectrum there was a fair amount that I didn’t like about this album.  For example, I feel like some of the songs were very all over the place and some were more structured.  Schoolboy definitely took this more artfully but some of it does sound a bit fake and borderline generic. Not all of it, but enough of it that I noticed it.  I also don’t feel like there was enough of a variation in the way the songs were approached, when I listen to the songs I can almost tell how the song will go from the beginning and end before even hearing it.  I also find a good bit of it repetitive but I wont hold that against him. 

            Taking into account the fact that I liked the lyrics and rapping and all that I didn’t like, id give this album a 6/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment