Sunday, March 22, 2015

Shai Hulud, Divider, Annulment, Commonwealth, and Enemy of The State at AMH 3/22/15

Last Friday at Amityville Music Hall, Shai Hulud returned to Long Island. Shai Hulud are a metalcore band from Flordia that have hardcore and progessive metal influences. Shai Hulud has been a band since 1995 and still kicking ass today. The venue Amityville Music Hall or AMH is the best venue on Long Island to see a hardcore gig. I'm guessing 60-80 showed up on Friday but that due to the snow. Still people came out and supported the bands.
The First band of the night was Enemy of The State. Enemy of The State are a Long Island Metal/harcore band. Their influences are very 80's. It's cool seeing bands today paying their due to DRI, Slayer, Biohazard, and Exodus. The material was very 80's and its been done before. Wasn't really into them and nor was the crowd. I give them credit they were different and weren't a generic hardcore band with breakdowns.
The next band was Commonwealth. Commonwealth are another band from Long Island but are a melodic hardcore band. There were the lightiest band of the night but that is not taking anything away from them. I really enjoyed them and I thought they came out strong. The lineup was very mixed but Commonwealth I've been wanting to see for while and I finally got the chance. If you like Defeater then Commonwealth is a great local melodic hardcore band.
Up next was Annulment. Annulment are a hardcore band that's really based themselves off the nineties. This was my second time seeing them and they aren't the type of band that wants kids swinging each other. The music is heavy but they dont want pits which I find interesting and different. The lead singer was in the crowd during the set. It's a very different element of hardcore when no one is moshing cause people are just standing there. If you like 90's hardcore than this band is worth your time.
Divider was something really different. They set up on thr floor of AMH and play there and its felt insane. Divider are a hardcore/metal band and from New York. They're really based off of bands like Converge, Deadguy, and Cave In. I really ejoyed the playing on the floor rather than a stage. It was really up close and different even for the venue. I think people really werent expecting that. Divider was really good and very loud. I felt my pulse just standing there and watching them. I would like to see this band again.
Shai Hulud was the last band and there were alot of people there for them. The lead singer was in the crowd for all of the set. People onlyed for Shai Hulud. I really enjoyed them alot and I've been waiting away to see them. I've them maybe 5 times and I finally got the chance. I just hate to see a band that started a sub-genre playing a small venue. Granted Friday was mixed with young people or older people its just I wish more people liked Shai Hulud. Even though they are a metalcore they attract alot of hardcore people whic is cooler because hardcore kids respect the history compare to the metalcore kids. Overall Shai Hulud was great and I'm glad I finally saw them. People you're missing out if you don't see them.
Shai Hulud 9/10
Divider 9/10
Annulment 8/10
Commonwealth 8.75/10
Enemy of The State 7.5/10
AMH 10/10
Concert Overall 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment