Sunday, March 1, 2015

Review- We Are Obscurity by The Dialectic

Texas based The Dialectic put out We Are Obscurity in 2013, and what most people would consider deathcore, I would consider sludgewave. A genre that I can only describe as slower, rougher, more 808-y deathcore.
 Production wise this release is solid but I find that it can be a little grainy at times, but it could also be the very intensive bass used. It gives off a great evil, malevolent feeling which this band definitely aims to market for themselves. The samples used on some of the breakdowns add to that menacing and the 808's are well placed and incredibly tight. Instrumentally this is as good if not better than most deathcore/sludgewave releases. With groovy leads and riffs, a strong downtuned guitar sound, great basslines that hit hard, and great drums with good movement in the tracks. The breakdown potential here is met tenfold, with some of the hardest hitting breakdowns I have heard in a long fucking time.
 Vocally this band is very unique, with a tone to them that I have not heard ever in my experience with heavy music. My complaints with this release are that the lyrical material is far from unique in substance, but regardless are well written and fit well with the instrumentals. Overall this release gets a 7.5/10.

The Dialectic's bandcamp

No comments:

Post a Comment