Saturday, February 7, 2015

Show review- Dads, Roger Harvey, Scout, We Take Fire, Casey Bolles

Tonight I had the opertunity to catch Dads play a show at Amityville music hall on Long Island. It was a small show, and not crowded at all which was suprising to me, as most of the shows booked here get fairly packed out nowadays. First up was Casey Bolles, a solo acoustic artist who I reviewed here as well. I arrived late, so I missed the first half of Casey's preformance but I was absolutely enamored by his emotion on stage, and the power of his voice.
 Up next was another local band called We Take Fire, and these guys were very interesting. A six piece band that musically is all over the place. They classify themselves as " Post jazz/avant garde/progressive/emo revival/kick-flip core/math-dog-rock" and I can't help but think that the description is the best I'm going to get at classifying them. Sonically they were enjoyable and easy to bob your head to. Their stage presence was interesting but I find that if you have that many members, it would be hard to do much in the way of that. The only complaint I have is this, I have scene these guys once before, and they used to throw pool noodles out into the crowd, unfortunately, that did not happen this time. 
  After that, was Scout. a local favorite, they put on a great set. Sonically very enjoyable, and formulaic to the emo genre. They had great presence on stage and overall I had a good time watching/listening to them. Definitely a band I would catch again, and this is as far as I remember my second time seeing them. 
  Fourth up was the first touring band, Roger Harvey, a twinkly emo band from Pittsburgh, put on a great set and to my enjoyment covered a track by Neutral Milk Hotel. Sonically they were formulaic to the genre however I think it works to their benefit. Their stage presence was good as well, though they didn't move as much as the other bands. 
  Finally, the headliner, Dads were up and I was thoroughly surprised by their lineup. It is three guys, and their vocalist is also the drummer. Their emotion and presence was second to none, I was thoroughly impressed with how energetic they were. Sonically I was very impressed with the drums, but the guitars were overall very formulaic of the genre, so nothing very special, but they were very talented regardless.

Overall this show expreience was an 8/10, I would reccomend catching Dads and giving the local acts a listen!

No comments:

Post a Comment