Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Stick To Your Guns, The Amity Affliction, Being As An Ocean, '68, and In Hearts Wake at Gramercy Theatre 2/22/15

Last Sunday Stick To Your Guns played a sold out at Gramercy Theatre in support of their new album Disobedient. It's been over since STYG played NY and the fans were excitied for them.
The first band of the night was In Hearts Wake. In Hearts Wake is an Australian metalcore/post hardcore band. I didn't see all of their set. I got in maybe three songs in. From what I was hearing it seemed alright not really my style but the fans were going off and singing. Plus there was alot of people there for them which is great. I think its safe to say that most Australian metalcore bands do well in American (Parkway Drive, Northlane, Etc).
The second band of the night was '68. '68 are a noise rock duo from Atlanta, Georgia. This is Josh Geogin's new band. He was the lead singer of The Chariot (Long Live!!!) and Norma Jean. I thought this band was a great for a few reasons. Reason one, a noise rock duo playing with metalcore band. Reason two no one got it expect me and five other people. Reason three if you know Josh Geogin you know its going to be different and wild. '68 was wild and I want to see the, again but in a basement or some where small. If you like Noise Rock than check out this new band.
Up Next was Being As An Ocean. BAAO is an Post hardcore band from California. Personally I feel they're a mix of Touche Amore and La Dispute with some metalcore influences. The fans were going crazy for them. I was really digging their material live because I try listening to them multiple times but I couldnt get into it. The lead singer kept coming into the crowd which I love because I believe that's a great big middle finger to barricades. The one thing I didn't like about the singer in the crowd is that no one was on top of each other. At punk rock show the lead singer would be surrounded by fans on top of each other. At BAAO fans just sang and surrounded the singer. Overall I recommend seeing them.
The Fourth band of the night was The Amity Affliction. TAA are another Australian metalcore band and its cool that STYG brought some Australian bands out for this tour. I wasn't really into them. Very generic metalcore band with the clean vocals on the side but the crowd was really into them. I'm not taking anything from this band because I'm not really into that style of music but for this band I see they got a big following. It seems more girls are into this band and I wasn't interested into the sound. The only thing I liked about this band is that the bassist had a Converge shirt on haha but if you are into metalcore like this than I recommend The Amity Affliction.
The final band of the night the one and only Stick To Your Guns. This will be my seventh time seeing them. STYG are a hardcore/ Melodic hardcore band from Orange County, California. STYG came out and Gramercy theatre erupted. STYG set was mixed in with mostly their albums Diamond and Disobedient. Its rare to hear older songs from them expect their staples "Amber" and "What Goes Around". That's not bad but STYG always plays a good show. This is one of the bands that got me into hardcore and I've been a fan since 2010. There was a few disppointments about this show. 1. Half the place left after The Amity Affliction which sucks for Stick To Your Guns. 2. It seem like STYG focused alot on the upcoming breakdown in the song. It felt more metalcore than hardcore. 3. I really didn't like We Still Believe in acoustic setting but I respect them for doing that. Overall I still loved them and I could see them over 100 times. One thing i truly loved was the STYG asked for three circle pits and people did that. It's rare for people out are hardcore/metalcore going off for circle pit more than once. If Stick To Your Guns comes to a town near you go seem them it's worth it.
Stick To Your Guns 9/10
The Amity Affliction 7.5/10
Being As An Ocean 8.5/10
'68 10/10
In Hearts Wake 7.5/10
The Gramercy Theatre 8/10
Concert 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment